vendredi 2 mai 2008

Tu veux un bonbon?...tiens.

I



The trees covered us. From that day on I wanted to live in the desert. That’s where I was born. Not in the desert. I was born on the east coast of the United States of America. I find the exact location irrelevant. For nine whole years I lived there and the only thing I find relevant concerning my stay in the US of A was my house. That was a while ago. Right now, however, I am sitting in the car, on Gemeize Street in Beirut, on a busy Friday night waiting in traffic. To be completely accurate I am sitting behind the wheel of my aunts Audi A6, which she let me drive around while she was out of the country on the condition that: if I fuck it up, she fucks me up. I said I understood.
It is nine PM and although it is evening and we are right smack in the middle of December I was sweltering in heat. That could have been the result of a) the fact that it was slightly warm outside and I was stuck in the car with the windows shut b) Because I was still a bit tipsy from the wine I had been drinking while playing cards an hour ago or c) a combination of both. I decide its c. The bar I am meeting my friends at is not that far along the way but with the amount of traffic I estimate about ten more minutes until my arrival. I decide to light a cigarette. After sticking the little white stick in the corner of my mouth I press my index finger down on the car lighter. It doesn’t hold. I decide that perhaps I should just keep my finger pressed on it until it heats up. So that is what I do. After around thirty seconds, I take the lighter out of its socket and examine it. Its interior is not orange, so I stick my finger in it to see if it actually heated up or not. FUCK! Ouch! Bad move baby. Bad move. I burnt my index finger. I try to light my cigarette but it seems it’s just not hot enough. My now very red index finger would beg to differ. I stick the lighter back into its socket. The Traffic still hasn’t moved a centimetre. With the cigarette still hanging on for dear life to my now dry lips, I decide to give the lighter another attempt. So again I stick my finger onto the lighter and wait. Now I wait for around forty-five seconds. After taking it out and examining it, I notice that it still had not turned to orange. No matter, I try lighting my cigarette, it doesn’t light. Is the cigarette at least even hot? To answer my question, without thinking, which is rather typical of me, I bring the cigarette to my face and stick the “supposedly” unlit end on my cheek. FUCK! Bad move nitwit. I burnt my cheek. Why did I do that? I ask myself while rubbing my cheek? Why would I ever want to test something’s heat by using my face? After this idiotic act, I get so frustrated, that I open my window and ask a random kid in the street to light my cigarette. This time it worked.
As the traffic moved on and I finally got out of the car and into the bar, I found myself on a slightly cramped table sitting in good company, the usual, Marya, Ayla, and a couple of others. There are two new faces, however. One belonged to a girl and was big and round with short wavy hair surrounding it. The other belonged to a good looking boy, Ayla’s potential new boyfriend. I say potential because, their initiation as a couple depended on my assessment of him, which was meant to take place tonight. He’s cute but the new girl wasn’t. Not a pretty girl poor thing, and she gave me the impression of a lesbian intellectual. That, by the way is neither an insult nor a compliment, it is a fact. It turned out to be a friend of Marya’s who went to Cambridge University. Since I see myself as an amicable and social human being, I of course take it upon myself to feign interest in her. After being introduced I ask her, “Well then, how do you like Camberidge?”
“You know, I really like it, except, the only thing is, its all white…”
Not exactly understanding what she meant by it being all white, I didn’t know what to say. I concluded that she meant that the city itself was white, like the buildings and houses, or perhaps it had snowed, and so on.
“Well that’s beautiful! Why is that a bad thing?” I asked.
Before I finished my question I realised everyone had become wide eyed and Ayla was blushing. What did I say wrong? I didn’t get it. Then again this wasn’t the first time something like this happened…
After a few seconds of silence, Marya bursts out laughing and manages to spit out,
“She meant the PEOPLE are white you idiot not the city!”
And everyone starts laughing. Not me.

Aucun commentaire: